North Otago Pioneer Gallery

Production date
Circa 1902
See full details

Object Detail


Description
First courthouse building, Thames Street (next to Athenaeum), c. 1902. Used for worship by the Church of Christ (as the City Temple) from 1895 to 1911. Courthouse completed early 1863. Replaced by new building further north in 1883. The first courthouse was vested in the Mechanics' Institute in 1882 for use as a museum, but used for other purposes ( e.g. a church and, later, sample rooms) when leased with the authority of the museum committee from 1895. Eventually used as a museum again from 1953 to 1973 as the North Otago Pioneer Gallery. Demolished in 1974 to make way for the new Oamaru Public Library.
Production date
Circa 1902
1902-1974
Collection type
Accession number
4124P
System ID
104155
Current Rights
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 104155

Colours

Share

Related objects

Comments


Be the first to comment.



Disclaimer

The development of Culture Waitaki’s collection online is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public. High resolution copies of images may be available for purchase, please see FAQs for further details.