Devonshire Hotel, Kakanui

Production date
See full details

Object detail

Devonshire Hotel, Kakanui, 1874. G Campbell, Proprietor.
George Campbell opened this establishment in 1869 on the southern side of the river. In 1879 the licensee William Walker renamed it the Sussex, but with a new owner in 1881 its original name was restored. In 1883 it was sold as a store, as its liquor licence had been declined and it was solely offering accommodation. (Information from Country Hotels display information, 2005.)
Mouth of river now shingle bank.
Production date
Collection type
Accession number
System ID
Current Rights
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 102869


Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.