View facing east, c.1918. Woollen Mills. Weaver Street. Caption information for the Oamaru Woollen Mills complied by Max Smyth (a local photographer) reads as follows: "The old mill, across the railway, commenced work in August 1883. The buildings were extended from time to time - e.g. office and warehouse 1894; worsted plant 1905. The safety of the buildings was threatened by erosion, and after the failure of various protective schemes, it was decided to shift to a new site. Starting in 1917, the transfer was carried out on a carefully planned scheme so that building, transfer of plant and demolition went on in stages. The process was virtually completed by 1920, and not a day's production was lost. Much of the old stone was used again. The former office building was left standing for many years, and the chimney stack was not felled until 1942. It is estimated about a third of the site is now in the sea."
Glass plate negative
H 121mm x L 165mm
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 101392