Ross' Accomodation House was situated on the east bank of the Waitaki river, about 1.5 miles above the Hakataramea township. The proprietor (right centre) was Mr W O Ross' grandfather. A few hundred yards above this was the punt operated by Mr Ross, which crossed the river the Otago side and was about a mile above the Kurow township. This punt was the only access across the river from Otago to Canterbury, at the time, prior to 1881. After the Kurow bridges were opened in 1881, the use of the punt and the accomodation house vanished. The accomodation house was later destroyed by fire.
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 100869