Clyde Hotel, Hampden
Ries & Co. Production date
1870s See full details
There is a reference to the existence of the Clyde Hotel in 1862, with John Prosser as proprietor. The Cyclopedia of Otago, however, records that it was opened in 1868. This hotel had 12 rooms, with 7 bedrooms. The comfortable dining room could seat 20, and there was also a cosy sitting room. While the Hampden Hotel was the official Cobb and Co. coach stop, it was the Clyde that was attacked by two bushrangers in 1865. Two horses were stolen from their stables and with the fresh mounts they terrorized people as far upland as Kurow before being arrested across the river in Hakataramea.
Be the first to comment.
The development of Culture Waitaki’s collection online is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public. High resolution copies of images may be available for purchase, please see FAQs for further details.