Oamaru Brewery

Production date
1866
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Oamaru Brewery. Built in 1865 by Whitmore and Williams. Later called the Oamaru Brewery Company. Situated on the bank of the Oamaru Creek immediately behind site of J R Sewell's shop (Small Bytes Computers in 1999). For details see "Otago's Breweries Past and Present" (Leckie 1997: 129-131).
Attached to one of the prints is an original article cutting from a paper about this breweries origins: " Mr. Whitmore, who is about to establish a brewery and manufactory of aerated water, cordials, etc., has made some progress in the erection of premises beside the creek, and in sinking only a few feet for water, has been fortunate enough to find an ample supply. This water is softer than that obtained from the wells ordinarily sunk here to the depths of from 20 to 30 feet, and is expected will be found well adapt(able to) brewing."
Production date
1866
Collection type
Accession number
345P
System ID
100345
Current Rights
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 100345

Related objects

Comments


Be the first to comment.



Disclaimer

The development of Culture Waitaki’s collection online is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public. High resolution copies of images may be available for purchase, please see FAQs for further details.