Two men and a woman at the Cordial Factory, Chelmer Street. One man is loading crates of bottles onto a horse drawn cart. Built by Driver and Rayner 1867 on sections 2 and 3, block 72, near the Cross Street corner. Bought by Thomson and F R Chase (Chase was local manager about 1869). It comprised a two-storeyed building, dam and water-wheel. Thomson and Chase's partnership dissolved in 1883, after which time F R Chase continued until he sold the business to James Munro in 1899. The factory was originally powered by a wheel driven by the Oamaru Creek. The creek was diverted and straightened in 1875, so the photograph was taken before this time.
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 100343