Bee Brothers Rabbit Packers & Exporters

Production date
1940s
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Bee Brothers Rabbit Packers & Exporters. Established in the late 1940s. Legislation in 1957 completely devalued the rabbit and prohibited the sale of skins and carcases. The photograph shows vehicles used to gather the thousands of rabbit skins and carcases from as far away as Omarama. The building was first constructed, c. 1900, for Herman House. Its " approximate sequence of use" according to Graeme Ferris (a local harbour expert) is as follows: Herman House (seed-cleaning business and implements importer), North Otago (?) Bacon Company (certainly a bacon company), Bee Brothers, rabbit packers and exporters, Joe Dwyer's wool store, Gillies Foundry junk store, a private art studio (from 2002).
Production date
1940s
1957
Collection type
Accession number
147P
System ID
100180
Current Rights
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 100180

Colours

Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.



Disclaimer

The development of Culture Waitaki’s collection online is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public. High resolution copies of images may be available for purchase, please see FAQs for further details.