Thames Street looking north east from near the Oamaru Creek.The two storey building is the Bank of Otago at 11 Thames Street, later the National Bank of New Zealand. The Empire Hotel to the left of the bank. The next storey building along Thames Street is Gibb's Swan Hotel. A timber yard near the bridge over Oamaru Creek, at right. Left foreground is Oamaru's first post office, opened in 1864. The building is still standing in 2023 and is the premises of The Last Post restaurant, it is Oamaru's oldest surviving public building. In the background at left is the triangular roof of the first St. Paul's Presbyterian church on Coquet Street, which was also known as the "Scotch Church". The new church was completed on the same site in 1876.
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 100082