Shows Thomson and McLaren's furniture warehouse next to R L Rule tobacconist and stationer. This building first occupied by H J Burton, stationer in 1875, who had portrait rooms at the rear of the premises. When Rule succeeded Burton in 1878, F Smith operated the the studio at the rear and continued under the name of The Oamaru Portrait Gallery. A direction sign is shown in the photograph fastened to the wall of Waitaki House. New shops were built for J S Dalzel in 1887 and were occupied by tenants. Brown's Tea Rooms once occupied this position which is now the location of State Insurance.
No known copyright restrictions
Organisation Credit Line
Collection of the Waitaki Archive. Id 100040